Recommendation for a good hackamore set up

I am looking to put my horse in a hackamore, and I have a few questions.

1. What size bosal should I get?
  2. Does my Mecate size need to be the same as my bosal?
  3. Who would a recommended maker be?
2 Likes

I personally favor Hackamores made by Matin Black, Bill Black or another friend that I went to college with who also does real nice work, Leland Hensley. There are many out there just have fun doing your research. These 3 men & more can guide you well once you tell them more about your horse, breed size & get you matched up with the right gear fitting for your horse. Lester Buckley

3 Likes

I’ve got some real treasured rawhide work by friend Randy Reiman also that’s real nice. These men will point you in the right direction for Hackamores.

3 Likes

My handmade* hackamore is 25+ years old - continues to be ‘pliable’ with a bit of rawhide
care, & using a simple wood hackamore ‘form’ around which I can wrap thin leather to hold or reform the hackamore’s shape.
No recommendations (*I found my beautiful hackamore by sheer luck, so no idea who its maker is) - simply confirming for you that the investment in your hackamore may be enjoyed for many, many years. A few years back, Eclectic Horseman had an excellent article about hackamores, rawhide care, etc.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the information. I will check them out. It is very interesting how much there is to understand about the bosal and riding in a hackamore in general.

2 Likes